Saturday, May 23, 2009

Latest Dinners



Today, I cooked fish sinigang. The idea started when I found out tamarind was in season here in Dominica. I thought I'd go totally authentic and use real tamarind pulp instead of the Mama Sita's or Knorr's tamarind sinigang powder. I brought some of the powder down just in case. Unfortunately, the Shacks didn't have real tamarind today, so I just ended up using the powder anyways. It turned out to be really good, and it's nice to be able to eat some comfort food down here every now and then. I used trout, but I wish I just bought some frozen fish that didn't have skin or bones in it. My veggies consisted of onions, tomatoes, green beans, and spinach. I'm sure that taro root exists down here because I've had it in local food, but they generally don't sell those at the Shacks. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to use it anyways.


Last week, I used the dried chanterelles I bought at Whole Foods and forgot to use while I was at home. Not really knowing what to do with it down here, I just cooked it in spaghetti with garlic and olive oil, and it was great. It was simple, but it allowed me to appreciate the chanterelles more.

I feel so accomplished every time I cook on this island.

No comments: