Wednesday, May 6, 2009


Last Friday was quite busy. I woke up early to visit my old coworkers. I REALLY loved working at NYUSOM's Center for the Study of Asian-American Health. Working there was a very enjoyable and valuable experience for me, and I can only hope that I can continue to contribute in one way or another when I move back to NYC for the rest of med school.

After my morning visit, I quickly met up with Viv who was kind enough to lend Gabe and I her's and Julian's MoMa membership cards so we wouldn't have to pay a ridiculous $25 entrance fee. Before Gabe and I went to the MoMa, we had lunch at The Modern's Bar Room. I still have yet to blog about that, so stay tuned. It was a wonderful lunch, albeit expensive (for us). But the food was delicious, and everything I ordered was light and spring-y.

The MoMa was great fun and made for a nice Friday afternoon Gabe+Trish date. Going to museums was something I didn't really take advantage of while in college, and the MoMa was one I've always wanted to go to. Since Gabe has more of an appreciation for art than I do, it was a field trip we were both equally into. When one is completely engulfed into the world of medicine, it's easy to fall out of the loop when it comes to the arts and culture. I know that when I (hopefully) come back to NYC for clerkships, I'm probably going to be insanely busy, but I really hope I can make the effort to take advantage of all that NYC has to offer. I think I did a pretty good job at this when I lived there before, but there's still so much more to experience and discover.


Back to Friday. Since the rain decided to come down hard, we decided against going to the Union Sq Greenmarket and made a trip to Agata&Valentina instead to find things to cook with. We got ramps and applewood smoked bacon and decided to make spaghetti with that. Before coming to NYC, I had this plan to cook a big 3-course dinner with Gabe, and it didn't happen. There was just so much going on that weekend, and I didn't want to spend too much time prepping in Gabe's tiny apt. So we settled with pasta, but it turned out to be some DAMN good pasta.

After that, we hurried over to Cheryl's 24th 90's-themed birthday party, which involved Bon Chon, liquor, Ssips, goodie bags with ring pops and push pops, all-90's karaoke, and 90's clothes (which I was unable to participate in). It was a good time, and I was fondly reminded of my middle school years - rather appropriate since those were the years I kept up with music so well. Some of us then hopped over to Rohm where Derick and Asa were spinning for IFA's end of the year party. Didn't mean to crash an undergrad party, but I wanted to say hi/bye to Franny who was unable to make it Saturday night and who will be moving back to Virginia after school ends. It was great to see him...sigh, I missed that guy so much.

Friday was an awesome, yet hectic, day - very New York City. It was a day that reminded me of why I love NYC so much. Good food, culture, and good peoples. :)

No comments: