Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Dominican 24th Birthday

As many of you know, I never really celebrate my birthday other than dinner with my family and Gabe. And really, it's always just been more of an excuse to go out to eat. I only recall having two birthday parties with friends when I was a little kid - my 8th birthday party at a bowling alley, and my 9th birthday at the ice skating rink where I took classes my whole childhood. And then I had my 21st birthday party in the Meatpacking District in NYC, for the sake of it being my 21st. So yeah, I'm not a big birthday person, and I really had absolutely no intention of even acknowledging it this year with all the craziness of studying and being away from my family, Gabe, and friends in NYC - these are the people who are my blood.

Before I could even remove my birthday from Facebook (so people here wouldn't find out), Ren, one of my closest friends here, basically gave me no choice but to go out to dinner with our circle of friends in celebration of my 24th. It was probably one of the sweetest offers ever, so I couldn't refuse. Really, no one has ever done something like that for me. I think we had at least 20 people who were originally going to come, and that was just my closest friends. It shrunk down to 16 people, but these are 16 people I really do love. I can't thank everyone enough for making me feel so special and taking me out. And I definitely can't thank Ren enough for making this happen. He is so sweet.

I often times feel a little bit sad because I am constantly missing my friends (for life) back in NYC. I've always known and believed that nothing could match up to the dozens of amazing friendships I made in that city. They are people who I will have for the rest of my life, no matter what city, state, or country I move to next. They're people who know me for who I really am.

It's a little different being in med school in Dominica. I feel like we all just mostly know each other in the med school context. We don't talk about much else besides school. And I'm not gonna lie...I'm way more reserved and awkward here than anywhere else. It's almost like I regressed back to my high school days. While I always knew that I made a few good friends here, the birthday dinner that they threw for me showed me that in spite of the rigors of med school and not having much time for socializing, these people have become like family to me. They truly are among the most genuine and thoughtful people I have ever met, and I really can't thank them enough.

With that, here are pictures of me and my friends at Riverside restaurant.


Me and the ladies.


Me and the guys.

1 comment:

Cheryl A. said...

On behalf of your wonderful NYC friends:

"SIGH! Who ARE these people? Sure they are Filipino too but we could never be replaced! We miss you!!"