Sunday, March 29, 2009

Iguana Restaurant


A few of my friends and I decided to try Iguana Cafe in Portsmouth last night. It was basically our last hurrah until our last exam is over. With 3 lab practicals, 5 Shelf exams, and Mini 3 all in the last 2 weeks of school, the next 4 weeks are going to be incredibly tiresome, so it was nice to treat ourselves one last time before it's time to go into hiding.

I ordered the Grilled Lobster with a pumpkin and garlic sauce. Even though the portion was a little bit small (it was mostly shell), I thought it was pretty good. I knew the lobsters were very fresh because the meat was incredibly tender. The sauce could have used more seasoning, but I still liked it. So far, I think this might be the best restaurant I've been to in Dominica in terms of food alone, but I may have just ordered the wrong things at other restaurants and the right thing at this restaurant. I was just happy that this place had everything on their menu. Most of the time, restaurants here don't have at least one thing that's on the menu. Sometimes MOST things, which really sucks.

I think I've come to accept the fact that food in Dominica simply isn't up to par with even the most mediocre restaurants in the US and Europe. Still, it's nice to get out of the immediate campus neighborhood and eat food that's not what we would eat on an everyday basis.

P.S. This post should probably go in my food blog, but I think I've come to the habit of posting all Dominica-related things in this personal blog.


Glossary
: A lab practical involves looking at an microscopic or gross body part (depending on the class) and identifying whatever the pointer/tag is pointing at. Some of the questions are secondary. A Shelf exam is a standardized final exam for every subject in the first year of medical school. I'll have 5 of them - Biochem, Histology, Physiology, Anatomy, and Neuroscience shelves. A Mini is what Ross calls their own exams. We have 3 of them each semester - 1 for all the material learned in each month. So yes, all 5-6 subjects for one Mini.

No comments: