Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I'm back...for now

I haven't written in this blog since before classes started, so obviously you can tell it's been pretty crazy. My days are basically always the same. Wake up, go to class, eat lunch, go to class (if there is afternoon class), lab (if there is afternoon lab), or study for the rest of the day, then sleep...Repeat. It never really changes, and there's not really such a thing as a weekend.

However, things aren't as difficult as I imagined it to be. Thankfully, I quickly learned the best and most efficient study techniques for myself, and I've learned how to manage my time well. As for the latter, it's really not that difficult because there's really not much else to do on this island except study. I've figured things out pretty well that I still manage to get 7 hours of sleep every single night and talk to Gabe and my mom everyday. Some days there might be exceptions, but in all honesty, there's no reason to not get 7 hours of sleep every night. I wouldn't be surprised if this changes in future semesters though.

But yeah, things are alright. There are times when I get really homesick. I always miss my friends, I miss going out whether that be to a bar, shopping, or restaurant. I miss roaming around New York. I miss good food. I miss having free time to do whatever the hell I want. I miss A LOT of things. When I look back on life before med school, I feel like I'm looking back on a previous life. Things are just so different now, and it's sad to think I'll probably never be able to really go back to that life I had.

But there are also the times when I remind myself that it truly is an honor and a privilege to be in medical school and to be learning all the things that I am. A lot of people like to complain about the ridiculous amount of material we have to learn in a given time, but I love it. Of course, it's difficult. Med school is supposed to be difficult. Each semester at Ross is 3.5 months, and I honestly think that by the end of this semester, I will have learned as much material in one semester of med school as I did in 4 years at NYU. Ok, maybe 3 years. I guess it's a good thing I'm genuinely interested in everything I'm learning so far, with the possible exception of reading radiographs. I don't like that.

Anyways, I'm still alive, and I sure hope to God I make it through.

Hopefully, I'll continue to write more in the future...

No comments: